Monday, March 2, 2009

Injuries...



Some people asked me recently if I've ever had serious climbing injuries and I replied no. I mean sometimes I got the occasional finger pulley "tweak" but nothing serious. Well, except that time in Quebec when a crimp snapped off and my leg crashed on a sharp stump. It caused a hematoma in my thigh. I think I pulled one tendon in my entire climbing life despite my lack of warm-up practice. Yesterday I was climbing this project at the gym on a 45 when I fell something tweak in my knee. I knew I had done something but I was 2 moves away from sending so I did and jumped off. Dam. How lame. Injury climbing on plastic! It hurt but I could still climb for a bit. When I went to Fiona's I asked her dad and he told me it probably wasn't a ligament but more the cartilege in my knee. It happens to football players. So that is good news. It's super stiff in the morning but once I get going it gets better. I'll be ok in a week or so. I'm just going to break from climbing for that time. I'm busy with school anyway so that's good. There's 2-1/2 wks left before I drive up to NB to set the Tour de Bloc regionals at UNB. I always like going there as that's where climbing all started for me. The club has always been a great spot to climb and train. People are pysched and it's hella cheap to climb there. During my last trip to Fred'ton I bought a new impact drill that I will be happy to try out. The trip was so snowy. It fell over 40cm in 24hrs (see photo). Yes so the regionals should be a good time. We're introducing a "team" option so people can form a team and compete with other teams to see who can climb most problems. Stay tuned...
zig